Dungeon Bowl

Let's have a look at what is in the new Dungeon Bowl Box and where it harkens from. 
Archways Warhammer Quest
Proper Doorways! Before we get started I need to get this off my chest. As astute readers will pick up on, I am not a fan of the token doorways that come in this box-set. I am very pleased to inform you that the Warhammer Quest doors do work fine for the new tiles. I feel like they work even better with the new set. I really like these for the set. When I was young I thought these where way too much but with age I have come to enjoy them. They work well with the scale and have a goofy vibe to them which I enjoy in my blood bowl. 
Chests and teleporters Dungeon Bowl
Now back to business. Chests and teleporters. As many have mentioned, having painted chests rather than tokens would make it hard to make the ball chest indistinguishable from the bomb chests but it is still neat to have them. 
Chests and teleporters Dungeon Bowl flip-side
The teleports are nice. Don't know if I would do all the swirly pools the same colour or different colours to make it easier to tell which one is which when you roll the dice. I originally thought one for each wind of magic but there are 8 winds of magic and 6 teleporters, skip brown and white maybe?  
The Bone Pit and Red end zone Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Bone Pit and Red end zone. I do like that they gave them special end zone rooms. The dungeon bowl that I believe came with a white dwarf had just a end zone drawn over the other rooms.
A multitude of Door Tokens. I'm not a fan of these as mentioned before. They are very slim so they just slide around, it doesn't feel like they are doing anything to clarify where you can enter and their tendency to slide makes them even less useful for this case if you had two large rooms next to each other. I don't think visually they do a lot to represent an opening either I do believe you can make out some details that referencing the old Plastic arches from Warhammer Quest- see first picture in the post. 
The Cursed Room and Red end zone Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Cursed Room. Red end zone with smaller checkered pattern. And to clarify the tiles are printed on both sides so this is the flip side of the the tiles above.
The Armoury and Blue end zone Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Armoury. I like the runes in the End zone, I haven't figured out which college it belongs to yet though, the first red end zone had symbols in it too but it wasn't as prominent.
The Forgotten Jail and Blue end zone Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Forgotten Jail and Blue end zone with out runes. I'll go into a bit more commentary once we have seen all the tiles and the old ones to compare them to.
The treasure Room Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Treasure Room. So many door tokens. I looked at some layouts, the most I managed to put out was 19. Averaging on 16.8 but if you skipped all the unnecessary ones from corridor into room the average was 4.5 doors per layout (8 being the maximum of the minimum required doors).
The Kitchen Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Kitchen. They have included 36 Door tokens! 36!
The Flooded Room Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Flooded Room. I will make a separate post about the different layouts and looking into related things a bit more. Warhammer Quest came with 10 proper archways.
The Sewer Dungeon Bowl Tiles
The Sewer and obligatory squashed snotling in the left corridor. 
The Dugouts Dungeon Bowl
Dugouts. No turn tracker since there isn't a turn limit. Unless you play Tri-ball-wizard-cup rules where there are up to 3 balls and it's who scores the most within the turn or time limit.
The Dugouts Dungeon Bowl Flip side
Dugouts - second side, not much has changed, some bunting added and some meat switched for papers/magazines, magic sponge being moved around, coffins swapped with stretchers. 
Chaotic Idol and The Crypt Large Dungeon Bowl Tiles
Large rooms first side Chaotic Idol and The Crypt
Dragon Youngling's Lair and Fiery Chasm Large Dungeon Bowl Tiles
Large Room Second side. Dragon Youngling's Lair and Fiery Chasm 

Amber Collage Sprues
Representatives for the Amber College / College of Fire. 1 orange sprue of dwarfs and 1 orange of Ogres, I won't comment much here since I have done some and will continue to go through the unboxing on respective teams. I own all the released teams but haven't got around to make unboxing posts for them all.
Amber Collage Sprues flip-side
Amber sprues other side.
Dwarf Unboxing
Shadow Collage Sprues
College of Shadow / Grey Collage / Grey Order sprues. I don't think I've done one on the dark elves since I converted up my own models before the release. They are supposedly fiddly.
Shadow Collage Sprues flip-side
Shadow sprues other side.
Skaven unboxing
Dungeon Bowl Dice
The dice are nice, it is a shame the purple dice aren't a bit more transparent to be inline with the orange and the red and green dice from second season starter box.
Dungeon Bowl ruler and template
Rulers I've lost count on how many of these I've got, I'll probably paint one set up or try to find another use of these. 

Now lets look at the components from Warhammer Quest (1995)

The tiles where not printed on both sides and had a very distinctive black boarder around the rooms/corridors.
Small Rooms Warhammer Quest Tiles
Small Rooms. From left to right, top to bottom: Circle of Power, Dungeon Cell, Well of Doom, Torture Chamber, Guard Room, and Monsters Lair. 
I think: 
  • the Circle of Power became The Cursed Room
  • the Dungeon Cell became the Bone pit
  • the Well of Doom became the Sewer
  • the Torture Chamber became the armoury
  • the Guard Room became the Kitchen
  • the Monsters Lair became the forgotten jail
Firechasm Warhammer Quest Tile
Firechasm, this seems to have been split in to Dragon Youngling's Lair and Fiery Chasm. I don't like what they did with the floor in the new Fiery Chasm otherwise it seems good, it's a lot clearer what squares you can stand on. 
Fountain of Light Warhammer Quest Tile
Fountain of Light. Didn't make an appearance but maybe inspired the small flooded room.
Idol Chamber Warhammer Quest Tile
Idol Chamber, The Chaotic Idol has been moved to the centre of the room and been given 4 braziers. That layout does make more sense for dungeon bowl and gives more freedom of where corridors attach.
Tomb Chamber Warhammer Quest Tile
Tomb Chamber. This one feels more impactful than the crypt but I can see that the stair layout is almost essential for the single tomb. I don't mind the crypt, I like it but the Tomb Chamber is more impressive and not as forgettable.
Fighting Pit Warhammer Quest Tile
Fighting Pit- I included this just for completeness sake. It came with the Warhammer Quest box but is no good to play dungeon bowl on.
Corridors Warhammer Quest Tiles
Corridors from Warhammer Quest's Box. I couldn't find one of the T junctions for this picture (I had it out to compare with the new set) So the Old set came with 3 T junctions, 1 Corner, 4 Grey corridor, my set seems to have two very slight different hues of grey. 3 Orangey corridors and 1 set of stairs.


There will be a series on posts on Dungeon Bowl, I have much planned and if we are lucky there might even be a match report somewhere down the line.

Comments