Paint Mixers Review

Model Paint Mixers Review
There seems to still be a lot of talk about paint mixers so I thought I'd give my views on the subject as an owner of two. 
Model Paint Mixers
I don't believe in gate keeping the outcome of the articles or the reviews until you have scrolled through tedious time wasting filler and ads. As you seen from the first image I prefer the vortex style mixer and I will tell you why and my experience from using both.

I’ve seen contraptions to put on jigsaws but you’d need the jigsaw and a 3d printer to print out the parts. I have neither so can't tell if they're any good. Greenstuff world just released their own vortex style paint mixing solution. I do like many of Green Stuff World's products, they tend to hold quite high quality but they are priced up quite heavily. In this case I'm not that convinced by their attempt to reinvent vortex mixers, haven't tried it but doesn't look like a practical approach to an already practical and convenient product but thought I would mention it.

No mater what mixer you are using, even if it is just old fashioned arm powered, it works better with agitators. I use hematite beads, some people use glass beads, some people use ball bearings. If you do use ball bearings make sure they won't start rusting before you put them in your paints! Don't take the sellers word for it...

ROSEMARY Model Paints and Nail Lacquer Shaking Machine

ROSEMARY Model Paints and Nail Lacquer Shaking Machine

This is the first paint mixer I bought to help with my transitioning to dropper bottle and trying to revive many old paints. Comparing shakers and vortex I went for the cheaper option. I thought that the hands free shaking would make this so much more convenient. I could set the paints to mix while I was doing other hobby tasks but it was so loud you didn’t want to be in the same room. You can’t hear yourself think while it's running. 

Model Paint Mixers Held in Vice
It comes with suction cup feet, they aren’t any good but even if they were, they are no match for the vibrations of this guy. When I started using it I got clamps out to clamp it to the table, but the clamps rarely lasted for more than one bottle of paint before they vibrate off and fell to the floor even when I had it clamped down with several clamps. In the end I got out a table vice that managed to hold it in place.

It is practical for old paints since you can drop in some acrylic medium and agitators and then strap in the bottle and turn it on and leave, you do need to leave and do something elsewhere while it's working through it's din and ruckus. The noise and vibrations are both energy that isn’t being put into shaking the bottle so maybe there are better variants of this style of mixer that are less loud but what I have heard from youtube reviews of similar products I wouldn't get my hopes up.

For hands free shaking and longer shaking it is a good choice. 

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Hands free

Cons:
  • Loud as hell
  • Needs to be locked in a vice to stay put



INTLLAB Vortex Mixer

INTLLAB Vortex Mixer

I understood that I would need something more endurable for use while I was still in the room. Most Vortex mixers work by you pressing down the paint bottle on the rubber top that start to oscillate in a circular motion. It still vibrates a bit but stays put. It makes a bit of noise, but more of a purring if compared to Rosemary. Sometimes I feel it struggles to get to the very bottom so I help it a bit by giving the bottle some severe back and forth shakes before and after. 

The Vortex mixer is so convenient to have, once I get a paint bottle off the shelf I just press the bottle quickly on this guy which gives the paint a good whirl before I open it. It's no added step before painting it's just a second longer added to the reach for the the bottle before applying to the pallet.


Pros:
  • Quick
  • Convenient
  • Quieter
  • Stable

Cons:
  • More Expensive
  • Not hands free


Comments