Hobby time management


I haven’t made much progress this month. I’ve done a bit of painting that I’ll include pictures of so this post isn’t just a wall of text.


I heard a saying that goes something like this:-

Children have all the time and energy but no money to pursue their hobbies. Adults have money and energy (supposedly!!) but no time. Seniors have time and money (again I’m doubtful) but no energy. 


Blood bowl Chaos Dwarfs wip painting



I make CAD models at work so I’ve long been tempted by 3D printers since I would have the possibility to make may own things and modify others before I print them. However, time keeps being the factor that holds me back. I can’t afford the 3D modelling program that I use at work. I’ve found an alternative but it takes time to learn the new program and then I would need to sit down and do the sculpting. It is something I would like to do but at the moment I have more pressing things I need to sort out. I started re-coding the theme for the blog (which has for a long time been in need for a full overhaul) during the lockdown but since being back to work I have not had the time and energy to sit down and finish that project. I also have a handful of other coding projects I’d like to pursue for the blog but there hasn’t been an opportunity for that yet.



Blood bowl Chaos Dwarfs bullcentaur wip painting black orc test model in the background



I got an airbrush to save on time but I’ve only had a chance to use it to prime once. I have so many things swirling around in my head that I’d like to do in so many different fields I don’t know how people find time to live their lives. I feel like I’ve cut out a lot of time sinks but still I have more things to fill my time with than I know what to do with. 


I know a lot of people preach about the need to ‘make time’ by cutting out a scheduled time slot earmarked for the specific activity. It doesn’t have to be long - even 20 minutes in the mornings or evenings. It is a good practice and the regularity is beneficial for both progress and practice where the repetition of the practice allows for skills to flourish. I feel at the moment though I should prioritise to do such a cut out for my health, such as exercise. However since that isn’t as exciting it is harder to keep up and therefore neither gets done.



Blood bowl Chaos Dwarfs hobgoblins wip painting



With an another lockdown potentially on the horizon I would still have to work from home probably but I would have less commute to contend with so that might allow me to finish the blog overhaul and maybe look in to some digital sculpting. Until then I’ll keep trying to add a couple of layers of paint every now and then when I get a chance. 

Comments